FUNDAMENTALS OF LABORATORY SAFETY
CLASSROOM FEE: ₦65,000 | ONLINE FEE: ₦50,000
SYNOPSIS: Organizations must collaborate at all levels to develop and implement laboratory chemical safety policies and procedures that support a healthy safety culture and protect personnel. This course discusses the requirements for working safely with hazardous chemicals and provides practical guidance on how to minimize occupational exposure that results in adverse physical or health effects
- Identify hazardous substances in your laboratory and the need to minimize exposure.
- Explain the purpose of the Laboratory and Hazard Communication standards and their primary directives.
- Recognize your employer’s responsibility to provide you with information and training at the time of your initial assignment to a work area or a new exposure situation.
- Identify the information that must be included in a Chemical Hygiene Plan and your employer’s responsibility to communicate the location and availability of the plan.
- State the various controls that protect laboratory personnel, including engineering, administrative, work practices, and personal protective equipment.
- Recognize your employer’s responsibilities and your rights relative to exposure monitoring, medical consultation and examinations, and records.
- Fundamental Concepts of Laboratory Chemical Safety
- Chemical Storage and Segregation
- Emergency Planning
- Chemical Fume Hoods
- Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) When Using Hazardous Chemicals
- Laboratory Waste Management
- Transporting Hazardous Chemicals
- Chemical Security
- Compressed Gas Cylinders
- Laboratory Safety Manual
- Chemical hygiene plans (CHP)
- Policies and standard operating procedures
- Guidelines and reference materials
- Prior approval
- Required training
- Hazard signs and symbols